FAQs About Live-Nimble Water Purification Products
1. Where are the O-Pen and Ozo-Pod products made? These devices are proudly Invented and Manufactured at Roving Blue in Lena, Wisconsin - 100% American made products.!
2. Is ozone the same as activated oxygen? Yes and no. Ozone is often referred to as activated oxygen, as creating the O3 molecule is making the oxygen more powerful. It is however, unstable, and will break down between 15 minutes and 2 hrs. If you can detect the smell of ozone, it is still in the water. When the Oxygen molecule is forced into an O4 configuration, it becomes stabilized, and that is also referred to as activated oxygen. It is stable, so the term activated oxygen is always used for that case, whereas O3 is unstable, and not always referred to as activated oxygen.
3. What is ozone? Ozone is a form of oxygen. Oxygen is normally a gas, O2. Ozone is O3, also a gas. Ozone forms naturally from ultraviolet (UV) light and corona discharge, e.g., lightning. Ozone will oxidize other materials and revert to O2. The Roving Blue® OZO-PodTM makes water safe to drink by using dissolved ozone as a sanitation agent. Ozone, or “O3”, is the most powerful oxidizer available that can be safely used in water treatment. Ozone is a strong oxidant that is widely recognized as a biocide and has the ability to achieve more than 99.9% pathogen kill rates. Electrolysis is a method of using direct electric current to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction. The Compact Ozone Generator uses electrolysis to separate water (H2O) molecules into Hydrogen (H2) and Oxygen (O2 and O3 – ozone). Our exact method of producing the ozone is a trade secret at this time.
4. I heard the ozone is dangerous, can’t it damage your lungs? Higher concentrations of Ozone gas can irritate the lining of the lungs. In large Metropolitan water processing plants, workers use respirators due to the high concentrations. In your home, it is not an issue with the Roving Blue products. The Ozo-pod and o-pen create aqueous ozone from the water. There is very little that escapes into the air, although you can smell it. It will not irritate or injure you lungs, however, it is a good idea to operate in a ventilated area if you will use it for a long time. The military has had the same question, and when measuring to see how much ozone gas was released, it was found that there was not enough to measure.
5. What does ozone do? Ozone is the most powerful oxidizer available, 3,000 times stronger than chlorine, and the only one that does not leave toxic residue behind. It removes a vast number of bacteria, virus, parasites, protozoa, such as salmonella, e.coli, typhus, dysentery, cholera, giardia, cryptosporidium, and much more. Biofilms, many compounds such as iron and chlorine will are oxidized and easily removed from the water. It expedites manganese reduction, removal of hydrogen sulfide, and reduces formation of disinfection by-products such as THM’s, triple methanes and HAAs (that are formed when using water purification tablets or chemicals) halo acetic acids that can be formed when water is boiled, or toxic residue when chlorine products are used to disinfect. It also makes removes bad tastes and odors and breaks down herbicides and pesticide residues and pharmaceuticals.
6. Does it really get rid of all pesticides herbicides and pharmaceuticals? Most filters and lights do not begin to touch chemicals, pesticides, herbicides and pharmaceuticals. You need very specific filters. Having said that, the Ozo-pod and O-Pen will inactivate them by breaking apart the long chain molecules in them. There are so many that it is impossible to say conclusively that ALL of the above substances are removed. There could be other configurations of new compounds of these chemicals and by-products. It is impossible to test for everything.
7. When was ozone first used? Ozone has been around and used for many purposes for well over 100 years. Tesla even invented the first ozone generator! It has been approved for water purification, food prep and many other things by the FDA, USDA, and EPA for over 30 years. It is considered very safe. From the Livestrong site on ozone,….. Ozone is often equated with the layer of gas that protects you from the harmful rays of the sun. But ozone has also been studied and used for therapeutic purposes for more than 50 years, according to a 2011 review article published in the Journal of Natural Science, Biology and Medicine. Ozone gas is unstable and can be irritating or harmful. But when it’s mixed with water to make ozonated water, it may help you get ozone’s health benefits without the ill effects.
8. I heard that ozone water can reduce inflammation, such as gums, etc. Yes, it can, and it is frequently used in Dental practices for rinsing incisions, etc. In a Livestrong article, they state that “A study published in Biomedical Reports in 2014 investigated the effect of ozonated water on acute inflammation in mice. The researchers found that the ozonated water helped reduce inflammation by decreasing factors that increase inflammation and promoting the body’s natural antioxidants.” There is anecdotal information and testimonial by individuals stating how much ozone water reduced gum inflammation, acne, plaque removal, acne and skin irritations, it might be interesting to research for your own benefit.
9. Is it really necessary to wash/disinfect produce, and if so, why is ozonated water better? Livestrong has some interesting information on this “One out of every 6 Americans gets sick from a food borne illness each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Produce is a potential source of bacteris, which is why it’s important to wash fruits and vegetables before use. Even products that appear ready-to-eat such as bagged lettuce. A 2014 article published in the Journal of Food Science reports that washing produce in ozonated water may help reduce bacteria on produce and risk of infection, specifically salmonella on items such as lettuce, green onions, and grape tomatoes” It is also well know know that washing your produce, killing the bacteria, and removing chemical residues results in the produce lasting longer, saving you money, and with safer produce.
10. Does washing produce with ozone get rid of the protective wax as well as the pesticides and herbicides? YES! It can removed the waxy layer from the produce, and destroy the pesticides and herbicides underneath them. Since Organic and Non-organic produce both use pesticides and wax, this means that eating the more expensive organic produce is not as critical.
11. Is ozone used in the sterilization of instruments in the medical community? Ozone gas has been found extremely effective and requires less time than normal sterilization methods for medical instruments. Ozone water is also effective, except where the instruments cannot be immersed in water. Dental practices are very on board with using ozone water for taking care of incisions and instruments.
12. Is ozone used in medical treatment? Livestrong has reported that "Drinking water is treated with chlorine to make it safe to drink. However, this type of treatment may increase the risk of certain types of cancer such as bladder cancer." The French have been drinking ozonated water for decades, according to a study published in Epidemiology in 2004. The author of this study suggests that "based on epidemiological evidence, drinking ozonated water, as opposed to chlorinated water, may reduce exposure to carcinogens and reduce risk of bladder cancer. However, clinical studies need to be conducted to determine if drinking ozonated water actually lowers cancer risk?"
13. Do people really drink ozone water? According to Epidemiology Magazine in 2004, the French regularly drink ozonated water….is it the wine or the ozonated water? There are many who drink ozone water regularly, claiming many health benefits. It does get rid of chlorine, makes water more alkaline with higher levels of oxygen, all of which can be beneficial, but aside from reducing surface inflammation, and killing pathogens on the skin it is probably not a cure-all as some claim. This comment also is from Livestrong. “Ozonated water is purported to have medicinal benefits from helping treat cancer to detoxing the body. However, while ozonated water offers some health benefits and may be added to your diet without concern for harm, there is no evidence that it has any therapeutic benefits."
14. Why are the O-Pen and Ozo-Pod better than filters of UV light purifiers? There is no filter or UV light water purifier that can create ozonated water. They filter out or deactivate bacteria, viruses, etc. The Roving Blue products can completely kill bacteria, protozoa, viruses, and parasites on food, environmental surfaces and your body. Filters and Lights are also unable to break down pesticides or herbicides or pharmaceuticals, (with one exception, the Berky) Filters also need to be back-washed, which isn’t a big deal, but they can also lose effectiveness if they don’t get cleaned out well enough or often enough. It can be hard to tell how effective they still are. Some of the filters required sucking on a straw can be difficult for small children, and sometimes the filters fail, break, or lights break or become less effective. UV lights deactivate the pathogens, allowing them to ‘come back to life’ under the right conditions.
15. How well does ozonated water work to disinfect your hands, and, by extension, your body? Ozonated water is routinely used to cleanse and reduce contaminants on incisions, wounds, and hands. Does it work in the Operating Room for Open Heart surger/ Probably not the best idea, but the O3 water is very effective in killing germs/contaminants on areas that it reaches, including hands, and scrapes and cuts on your body. In flood situations, there is a great danger in staying wet in the flood water. It can irritate your skin, allow access for the excessive amounts of germs in the water, causing infections. By washing then rinsing with ozonated water, the potential for infection can be greatly reduced. Lana DeMeir the inventor of these ozone products was in military trials, and she said “at a Socom field experiment where we swabbed hands before and after, the ozone rinse had considerable contaminant reduction.”
16. What if you don’t have clear water? Large detritus like leaves can be easily filtered out with a piece of clothing, handkerchief or some other fabric. Letting the water sit until the particles have settled will allow you to pour out the clear water, or you can use that method along with a coffee filter. They will be good for more than one use, and you will get water that is clear enough to use the o-pen with. Once clear the water can be ozonated and used to disinfect your environment.
17. Does it work with rain water? Yes, provided it is clear. Water from rooftops can have awful contamination from animals and polluted air. The o-pen is able to get rid of the chemical pollution from the air whereas filters and lights cannot do this. A simple coffee filter can greatly facilitate clearing the water if needed.
18. When do I use the o-pen? when in restaurants, cruise ships, hotel rooms, etc., using straws or bulky water purifiers in public can be offensive to local staffs in restaurants, cruise ships, etc.
19. How can I tell if there is still active ozone in the water? The sniff test is all you need, however, there are other ways to test the concentration. Simply smell the water, and if you can detect the ‘ozone’ fragrance, it is still active. Drinking water with the ozone still active is not a health issue. I understand the French do it regularly. Water that is actively ozonated tastes delicious.
20. What happens to the water when all of the ozone has been deactivated? When the ozone is depleted, the water will be more oxygenated, and slightly more alkaline, which is a good thing. It is considered to be healthy for humans, watering plants, crops and animals as well. Home gardeners report that plants grow bigger and are healthier when ozonated water has been used on them.
21. How long does the ozone stay active? The active time of ozone can be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or even two. Ozone is effective for longer times when the water is colder or has more minerals in it (hard water). Warming will break down the ozone more quickly, as will soft or highly purified water.
22. What if my o-pen or ozo-pod doesn’t bubble? If you have used it quite a bit, it may need to be cleaned. A solution of 5 parts water to 1 part regular household vinegar will suffice for cleaning it. Immerse the pod or just the functional end of the pen in the solution (DO NOT TURN POWER ON) and let it sit for a while. Then, rinse. It should be fine. I clean mine once a month as it is used constantly, but once a year would be a minimum. You may also be working with highly purified water…i.e. if your water goes through some kind of purification system in your home, or you are using bottled water. Since the technology is based on having electrolytes in the water, you need TDS, total dissolved solids, to be about 50….you need a meter to tell you that, which very few people have. In that case, putting a few grains of salt in the water will allow more ozone production.
23. How much O3 is generated by the Ozo-pod? The amount of O3 generated by the Ozo-Pod TM will vary depending on water temperature, chemistry, conductivity and pH. It needs minute amounts of total dissolved solids (TDS ) to operate efficiently (add tiny pinch of salt) The power should be applied for ~ 0.5 minute to 1 minute per liter, or 10 minutes for 10 liters. The time specified is required to produce the desired 1 to 3 PPM of ozone per liter of tap water. The actual concentration measured, including all ions, may be more, depending on the characteristics of the tap water and the power applied time.
24. How concentrated does the ozone have to be to work? Although as little as .025 PPM is all that is required for most disinfection needs, a higher concentration of ozone and other ions has no adverse effects. However, the 1 ppm produced by the ozopod and o-pen ensures that it meets a higher standard. Some pathogens are just harder to kill!
25. Can I increase the concentration of ozone? Yes. If you click on the o-pen more than once, and stir, it will increase the concentration of ozone. With the ozo-pod, circulating/stirring the water, and running for longer times, will also increase the concentration. The ozone will dissipate just as quickly, though.
26. How do I use this the first time? Initial Use Procedure for ozopod. For the initial use -
1.Fully immerse the ozopod water generator in enough water to fully cover the entire unit. 2. Apply power for 2 to 3 minutes. This operation removes the protective coating on the electrodes. Turn off the power when the cycle is complete. 3. Once the initial use cycle is complete, dispose of (do not use) the initial cleaning water.
Initial use procedure for o-pen. DO NOT IMMERSE the end of the o-pen that has the power.. the clicker. placing the end of the o-pen into a glass of water, click it once for 8 ounces, twice for 16 ounces. Do not drink the water, as this first operation is intended to remove the protective coating on the electrodes. Doing this once should be enough, as per the official manual, but I did it twice, as I am always nervous about chemicals, cleanliness, etc.
27. Does the ozo-pod or o-pen need to be cleaned? Maintenance of the Electrodes Water often contains minerals such as calcium carbonate. These minerals will accumulate on the electrodes (primarily the cathode) and will cause the electrolysis process to slow down. When the generation of ozone water appears weak-fewer bubbles clean the electrodes at least once a year as follows: 1. Prepare a solution of tap water and regular kitchen vinegar (at a ratio of 5 to 1 water to vinegar). 2. Dip the whole body of the ozone water generator (pen or pod) into this solution for 10 minutes. Do NOT apply power. 3. Rinse the Ozone Water Generator with tap water. After cleaning the electrodes, normal production will resume.
28. How do you recharge the batteries? There is a USB cable included, which allows you to connect to many power sources. When you are in the wilderness, or traveling, you will need ways to power your electronics, cell phone, etc.. Solar chargers, multi purpose radios and flashlights, power packs, all are good sources of power. Also, there are many ways to create your own power sources from batteries when you are at home. Regardless of the emergency, you will need some kind of power source for your other devices, so include this in your plan for power!
29.How long do the batteries last? The batteries will need to be recharged after about 30 clicks, enough for nearly 4 gallons of water, which is enough drinking water for one person for about a week. The o-pen has been used by many people several times a day for 3 years or more, and the batteries still charge up nicely
30. Is there anything else I need to know about the ozo-pod? Other Important Notes Do not dismantle or otherwise tamper with the Compact Ozone Water Generator. Please handle with care in order to maintain the warranty. Use tap water or clear stream water. Keep in a dry, safe place when not in use. Do not immerse the power supply or On/Off switch in water.
31. What is the warranty on this? This warranty is effective ONLY if purchased through an authorized distributor or dealer, and registered. The warranty is for 1 year from the date of sale or 2000 hours of operation. Warranty will be voided if the product has been tampered with. Please contact your authorized distributor/dealer for a defective product or any questions. In case the product is defective during the warranty period and with proper use, the defective product will be replaced with a new product, subject to the User shipping back the defective product. End users will waive claims for any liability damage from improper use of the OZO-PodTM and OZO-flowTM line of ozone water generators.